Tuesday, August 30, 2011

down time, but not down.

what's time for?
Mondays and Tuesdays are currently my and Julia's weekend (Julia is my much beloved girlfriend and friend of four years. You'll know more about her sometime.) Rarely does our apartment stay occupied on these days, but as for yesterday and today, we stayed rightly put.  More importantly, I've caught a glimpse of something very valuable, and is arguably becoming our most precious resource- time (and the simplicity of making it matter)!

effort not ill-spent
You see, to prepare for the "storm" that was supposed to have hit the eastern coast over the real weekend, I had spent time in the kitchen, preparing a couple of loaves of bread and other things that wouldn't need to be cooked to eat. Since the storm had no lasting effect on Portland, we could now thoroughly enjoy the fruits of our labor. All across our "weekend", we could not help but appreciate the simplicity of having no plans other than enjoying what we could reach for.


  • Simple and slow breakfast, followed by tea and coffee.
  • Light conversation allowed for breathing and laughing.
  • co-preparing a meal for dinner was wonderful, and I'd recommend all couples do this once in a while. 
  • Yesterday, I wrote a letter to a family member, who may otherwise not get much mail.
  • Doing small chores like dishes, I kept an attitude of care and gratefulness. I was surprised how enjoyable their washing was!
  • picnic today, in hopes of milking the last of the cloudless days in the season of the bee.
These are small things that might happen in any life. Yet I've drawn more satisfaction from today and yesterday than I might have all the live-long summer. We are quite poor, though I can't imagine a life much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment